Organized by the Hakka Affairs Council (HAC), the Hakka Choir Competition aims to promote the Hakka language and music, raise the profile of Hakka culture, and deepen Hakka self-identity. Through the competition, it is expected that more people in Taiwan can appreciate the uniqueness of Hakka heritage.
Category I. Chorus
- Children Choir: Maximum 15 years old (Born after Dec. 3, 2007)
- Youth Choir: Between 15 to 19 years old (Born before Dec. 3, 2007 and after Dec. 3, 2003)
- Adult Choir: Minimum 18 years old (Born before Dec. 3, 2004)
- Senior Choir: Minimum 55 years old (Born before Dec. 3, 1967)
Note: It is allowed to have no more than 10% over/under aged singers in Adult Choir and Senior Choir.
Category II. Contemporary A Cappella
- Student Choir: Students with certificate of (student) enrollment
- Non-student Choir: All age groups
Number of singers
1. Minimum 16, maximum 60, with 4 alternates in Chorus (not counting conductor and accompanist); in Contemporary A Cappella category minimum 3, maximum 12 (not counting audio person).
2. A singer is allowed to compete as a member of one choir only in each category.
I. Deadline: Oct. 3, 2022
II. How to register
1. Please fill in Online Registration Form at https://www.hakkasongsing.com/blank-12.
2. After registering online, fill in the application forms (Appendix 2 to 6) and submit them by express mail service, including 7 copies of original music scores.
To: 2022 Hakka Choir Competition
Address: 6F-3, No. 30, Jingfu St., Wenshan Dist., Taipei City, Taiwan (Good Tone Cultural Communication Co., Ltd)
3. The files of 5 choir photos and a two-minute video* of the choir’s self-introduction could be emailed to email@example.com.
* The two-minute video is optional.
For Category II. Contemporary A Cappella:
Date: Dec. 3, 2022
Location: NINI Life Square
Address: No. 2-1, Xin’an Rd., East Dist., Hsinchu City, Taiwan
For Category I. Chorus and the award ceremony:
Date: Dec. 3 & 4, 2022
Location: Cultural Affairs Bureau of Hsinchu County Government
Address: 146 Xianzheng 9th Rd., Zhubei City, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
1. All repertoire shall be Hakka songs.
2. For Category I, the designated repertoire is shown in Appendix 1. The participating teams are not allowed to change the designated version without authorization (transposition is possible). If the repertoire of the performance does not match the repertoire filled in the registration, no points will be awarded.one of the two pieces MUST be chosen from the compulsory list (Appendix 1). Both pieces can be performed with instrumental accompaniment.
3. For Category II, one of the two pieces MUST be chosen from the compulsory list (Appendix 1). Please refer to the version of the basic S.A.T.B. provided in Appendix 1, for each team to freely adjust the voice and the transposition according to the needs of the team members to perform. In addition, the self-selected song can be determined by each team.
The A Capella competition adds a new award for best arrangement this year. The song, be it designated or self-selected, can be adapted according to the main melody and lyrics of the original song with the unrestricted style. E-scores must be submitted before the registration deadline, and the adaptations must be first published works.
Note 1: A choir is not allowed to change its repertoire nor the order in which it will be sung.
Note 2: The total duration of performed pieces is no more than 10 minutes.
Prizes and awards
High Distinction Award for 6 teams: Trophy, certificate, NT$100,000
Excellence Award for 12 teams: Trophy, certificate, NT$50,000
Honorable Mention Award for 18 teams: Certificate, NT$10,000
Best Arrangement Award for 2 teams: Certificate, NT$10,000
Find out more at the competition’s official website or call the hotline at 02-8663-3557#11 (From Monday to Friday, 11:00 am—18:00 pm).